Monday 23 July 2012

To Thine Own Self Be True (take II)

More thoughts on my previous blog.

For 'to thine own self be true' think 'do not deceive yourself.'  Still a challenge, but perhaps less ambiguous.

Reference the bible and 1John 1.8 'If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.'
The problem here in our modern age is that;
1) "I do not say that am without sin.  I know that I am not perfect, but I try hard not to hurt others, and know that from time to time I fail."
2)  Today, the concept of 'sin' has lost it's meaning. It is like referring back to shillings, thrupence and halpennys.

The verse goes on 'But if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins, and cleanse us form all unrighteousness.'

3) Third problem is God.  Another outmoded concept.  It has little currency in the West (centimes, pfennigs this time.)

For the believer, sin is a cloud that excludes access to the light and warmth of the sun.  Sin is a pollutant in spring water, that renders life impossible.  The 'cloud' and the 'pollutant' are absolute.  The effect is devastating.

For the non-believer, being cut off from God is like being cut off from 'facebook' or 'heavy metal', for the uninitiated.  At best it's perplexing, like questioning, and being given the reply in an unknown language.

To the believer, the presence of God, is analogous to the presence of parents.  I do not need to see my parents to feel their presence, or influence.  I am very clear about what is likely to cut me off from my parents, or my partner.  I guess here is to be found the modern definition of sin; the destruction of relationships.  Perhaps the worse form is violence.  If I live with the presence of my partner, or loved one with me, this perhaps affects my behaviour and priorities.

So to me, 'do not deceive myself' means being aware of the 'cloud of pollution' that damages my relationships.  This includes my creator, who mercifully is also the purifier.





No comments:

Post a Comment