Saturday 15 September 2012

A Pagan Moment




Kim Gavin told us not to read too much into the closing ceremony for the Paralympics.  That’s fine, except that one soon became aware that it was loaded with symbolism.  The text being read by Corporal Rory MacKenzie was part of a formal druid ceremony.  We also saw the worship of a flaming ‘green man’, and the scorching of the zodiac on the turf of the arena.  This all made me feel uncomfortable, so I have been contemplating why this might be.  Pagan blogs and websites waxed lyrical about the experience, pointing out the splendour of the event.
It might be that paganism, the original religion of Europe, is having its moment in the spotlight. For many years, it has perhaps been consigned to a shelf in the outer walls of Lincoln Cathedral.  I work with someone who is a pagan priestess.  We have interesting conversations, and of course are able to share a lot of beliefs and values.



So what makes me feel uncomfortable about observing this creative piece of worship?
Apart from this deep feeling of this being ‘misdirected’ worship, I am also aware that although the paths of my faith, and the faith of other fine, and noble traditions may appear to come very close, these paths also go into different territories which fill me dread.  Paganism is associated with the psychics, fortune telling and an openness to ‘earth spirits’.  The mother of Richard Whitehead spoke of when she went to a psychic fair, and was told that her son would go on to win a gold medal.  Just an amazing co-incidence, or benign spirits at work?  These are subtle but random spirits that lead people to become fearful and controlled, like the destructive force present in the sea.  Paganism, like Buddhism, does not recognise a personal creator.  The relationship with the creator is one of awe and respect, but it is not rooted in love and forgiveness.

I feel that my apprehension comes from an awareness of the difference of my faith, based in a trust in the creator as apart from these spiritual forces, and ultimately moving in a different direction.

Like noticing that water falling on an area of upland, though falling on the same hilltop, moves away in different directions, according to the watershed.  I look at my colleague and say, "I'm going this way".


No comments:

Post a Comment