Monday 7 October 2013

The Worm

...I must write about something else...I say this because some ungodly people have wormed their way into your churches.  Jude 1.3-4

The Worm
This weekend I climbed a wonderful tree.
From the top of a ladder, I stretched with fingers,
Towards tantalisingly plump apples, ready to fall.
Homeward, rucksack bulging, I carried my generous treasure.
With a sharp move, I cut open a crisp red specimen.
There, from a tiny black spot, emanated a dark inky path,
At the core I saw a flailing pin, a translucent thread.
What dark corruption has been brought by this tiny worm.



Paraphrase

From Jude, follower of Jesus,

I was hoping to be able to write you some friendly encouraging words, but now feel prompted by the Spirit to warn you of the danger that has wormed its way into your community.

I am speaking of people who have joined you primarily to boost their own prestige, and distort what really brings joy.  They are saying that God puts up with your misdemeanors, and dubious acts.  God certainly is full of grace, but this message is a distortion.  You will recognise these people because they are not filled with the Spirit of God.

Right from the very start, Enoch (seven generations from the first man), warned us that Jesus would come at the end of time to judge all people.  This means the way we live is important, and indicates our true inclinations. 


Let us remain faithful, and praise our Creator who will keep us from falling into this trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment