Wednesday 17 February 2016

Son of God?

The Leicester Muslim-Christian forum presents many wonderful opportunities for jumbled thinking and beliefs to be challenged.  One of these is "Does God really have a son?"

"Does his wife know about this?"  And so the conversation continues.

Here is my explanation.

Let us assume that the universe and everything that exists has been deliberately created. 'Evolution' is not just the accidental interactions between the contents of a falling cocktail glass, as it journeys towards it's inevitable 'big bang'.

I exist- and my existence is held in a relation to my context;
  • myself- 
  • my family- 
  • my community- 
  • my environment- 
  • my Creator.
The Creator holds the Creation in the palm of his/her hand.
I replicate this  by holding a tennis ball in my hand examine it closely.
The scale feels wrong so I exchange it for a table-tennis ball.
Again, it feels exaggerated, so I choose a marble.  This does not satisfy me.  I am moving closer and closer to a speck on my hand.  I can hardly see it but it is there.

Now I imagine the voice of God.
"I made these people- my creation, my children.  I love them, I long for them to be in communion with me, to be close to them; what I always intended."

The Creator knew it would be like this.  After all he/she had factored in their weakness.  People have always been free to choose their own path.

Like a Time Traveller who enters a new world, finding they are dropped into the driving seat of a car travelling at speed towards a brick wall.
"Swerve! Oh, you didn't make it - what a shame,  you're lost now - helpless."

But this was always known.  The Creator is out of time.  The Creators seen the beginning and the end.

So to the plan to sort out this spinning mess.

The Creator reduces himself/herself to smaller that the speck on my hand, and enters the world.
The Creator enters as a seed.  A single cell, that splits and divides.
The Creator is born, and faces all the risks of life.

This is not a 'Son of God', this is a 'Speck of God'.  God of the small things- choosing to be on our scale.  Interested in our little things.  Reconnecting.

No comments:

Post a Comment