Sunday 30 September 2018

Ditch the Metaphor

Yesterday's early light was beautiful.  I set off up the hill using the Sheffield A-Z I had picked up from the house.  I could see Nigel's post-it notes from when he used it to make GP home visits.  Marjory Brown, bad chest and sore feet - (not her real name.)

The route went up through Studfield Quarry.  There are a number of old millstone grit houses scattered through the estate.  I guessed that this is where the stone originated from.   At the top of the Quarry there is a path heading off up to the common.  As I walked through the woods, the track trailed off into the distance.  I searched around for a metaphor.  "Not through the woods yet", "keep on the path and trust that the view at the top will be magnificent."  I got to the top.  There was a small car park, and lots of birch trees.  "Ditch that metaphor" I thought quickly after deciding that the summit was pleasant, but non-descript. 

Today I decided to do the walk in reverse.  There was some light drizzle, but the air was fresh and cool.  This time I found an interesting pile of broken bolders.  They reminded me of the much grander 'Steinura' in Northern Norway.  I decided it was a mini-steinura, and felt quite satisfied with it.  Next I left the beaten track and walked along a rocky ridge.  Here the views were more interesting, with a panorama across the Peak District.  On the horizon I could see high rocky outcrops.  It was good to return and reappraise the place.  I am sure there is a lot more to discover too.  (Still ditch the metaphor.)
Mini Steinura


No comments:

Post a Comment