Monday 27 May 2019

Journey Down the River Don.

Fitting into 'Interesting, though not beautiful.

My walk began on the Lady's Bridge in centre of Sheffield.  I read that when the bridge was widened, the foundations of Sheffield castle were uncovered.
My route travels along the River Don towards Rotherham.  Sometimes the walk way is suspended over the water.
I'm interested that this new building abuts a tumble down old building.  There will be a legal story to go with this I am sure.
 The slogan on this bridge reads "Imagine waking tomorrow and there is no music."  At first I read it as "Imagine walking tomorrow..." and I thought of Elizabeth.

 I enjoyed the comic scene of all these multicoloured cranes staring at me as I walked on by.
A place of Sand Martins and other urban wildlife
 Here are the weirs on the Five Weirs Walk

The view is naturally framed 
The Anatolian Education and Cultural Centre.  
And some curiosities I saw along the way.

Tudor Sheffield with Park Hill Flats in the background
Liz tells us the story of Park Hill Flat.  These once derelict flats were done up.  The graffiti that says '...Will you marry me?' was made into a feature and picked out in lights.  (Sadly they were never married.)  The flats went on to be runner up in the 2013 Stirling Prize.

I discovered that the symbol for Sheffield is a hand full of arrows.  At the end of the canal into Sheffield is the Sheaf Quay.  It's where the river Sheaf meets the River Dom.  I imagined that It's called 'sheaf of arrows' because in the 14th century Sheffield was a hunting estate.  A bunch of arrows was a useful commodity.  Today it is seen all over the city and on the university crest.
Sheffield Univeristy

Will change your life for ever....

Park Hill from the other side.

I was the only taker to visit the Nation Emergency
Services Museum, and our hotel was right next door.

The ruins of Sheffield
(Actually is Burbage Rocks- The Peaks)

No comments:

Post a Comment