Tuesday 12 November 2019

All communication is 'Prayer'

Sarah, my niece, informed me, the vicarious student that I am, that her lecturer began a lecture with this quote.

I mused that I have often wondered the opposite.  What if the word 'prayer' were banned?  As with all 'religious' language.  How would we describe prayer?  Would it be liberating to redefine these concepts?

Now the shoe is on the other foot.

So let us be religious.

Prayer- spoken in faith: I will be understood.  But how can I be confident that I have been heard?  How do I know my intention is interpreted?  How to I know I am loved?  Will anything happen- for me, against me?

Communication involves the whole body; the mind; the spirit.

So communication is spiritual, and illustrates the fact that we live as spiritual beings, despite the best intents of Dawkins 2019 book "Outgrowing God".

Communication is influence.  It is a gift to be received.  It is the clamourings of a beggar.

Communication requests a response, an interaction, a co-creation, communion.

"Life makes no absolute statements.  It is all Call and Answer."  
Says D.H. Lawrence.  English Writer



No comments:

Post a Comment