Wednesday 18 January 2023

Doctors' Dilemma

Doctors' Dilemma
2012 National Theatre- by George Bernard Shaw

Consultation One

GP- Ah.....Mr Storr.  What can we do for you today?

AS- Well, you know every time I have met with you recently I have complained about my stiff knees? Now I've come about my stiff knees.

GP - Much pain?  What was it like for you coming here today?

AS - No so bad.  I still walk a few miles every morning, it's just more a hobble than a walk these days.

GP - That reminds me of a patient I saw last week.  He only lives across the road from the surgery, but he told me it took him two hours to get in because of his bad knees.  He was proud to still arrive on time, despite being in terrible pain; one of our old heroes I would say.

AS - And were you able to help him?  What treatment did you offer?

GP - None sadly, as he died at the weekend. 

So if you really feel you need something, I can refer you to the osteologist at the hospital.  Is that what you would like?

AS - Well if that's what you suggest, then yes, go ahead....

Consultation Two

Osteologist - Mr Storr, I see that you have swollen knees, and they have been like this for about a year.  For a cases like this I recommend surgery.  People often resist surgery, but we now have excellent artificial knees which are truly better than the real thing.  The prognosis is vastly improved by acting quickly.  Then all your problems will be in the past. What do you think?

AS - My goodness! I hadn't reckoned on that! Surly there must be something that can be done that's not  so drastic.  Operation!  artificial knees!  I must say I am beginning to feel much better now, thank you. No, I won't be needing an operation just yet.  

Can you help me up?

Osteologist - Take my hand.  Do think about it.  In the meantime some of my patients benefit from losing some weight.  Less pressure on the old knees.  Would you like a referral to our dietician?

AS - Yes please,  That sounds much more to my liking.  Please do refer me.

Consultation Three

Dietician - Come and sit down Mr Storr, or would you prefer to stand?  Ah I see you are sitting.  Take your time.  Now it's your knees.  Anywhere else?  Just your knees.  Diet has a major impact on the joints you know.  Where you aware of that?  What's your diet like?

AS - Well, I consider my diet to be quite normal.  We eat a varied diet in our house, but I am aware of  how food can affect health.  I have a number of relatives who have to watch what they eat.  

Dietician - So we might be on the right track.  I'll show you a list of the foods that are mostly closely associated with swelling of the joints.

AS - Thanks you.  Wow, that's a long list. "figs, porridge, coconuts, Yogurt and dates." These are all my favourite things?  This can't be right? 

Dietician - Makes you think.  This is your diet and your knees are swollen.  The question is how much do you want to get better.  Clearly your body is unhappy with something.  It is telling you that you have to change your lifestyle.  Are you willing to give it a go?

AS - I'm sorry but there must be something wrong here.  Is there some other way?  I can't give up on dates.  Do you have any other treatments that you can suggest?

Dietician - Well I can't help you if you refuse to even experiment with this change in lifestyle.  The only thing I can suggest is that I refer you to our psychological wellbeing consultant, who can help you to listen to your body and work out what it is saying to you.

AS - I can tell you, I'm not in denial.  I just have sore knees.  But if you thing they can help me, I'll try anything.

Dietician - I think we have established that you will not try anything, but I will make the referral.

Consultation Four

Psychiatrist -  Mr Storr, do sit down.  Tell me about your work.....

AS - I enjoy my work.  I work in Child Mental Health.

Psychiatrist - Tell me more about 'enjoying your work'.  What does that mean to you?

AS - Well I've come about my knees, not my work.  It's my knees that are suffering at the moment.

Psychiatrist - If your knees could talk, what do you think they would say?  What would they say about your work?

AS - My knees talk?  Right now they would be saying why did you bring me here?  

Psychiatrist - Yes I think they are crying out, saying that the weight of your work is too great.

AS - yes I can hear them now.  They are saying "run, run get out of here...."

Psychiatrist - I can now see that your knees seem perfectly fine.  You are running away.  Now fumbling with the door.  But remember you can't run away......

Consultation Five

GP - I have had to call you in I'm afraid because a referral to the hospital lasts only five years and you have gone over time limit.  I also understand that you declined your last treatment.  We are not going to be able to help you if you keep doing that.  

AS - Doctor, you would have run away if you had been there.  I felt that my vocation had become to be a patient for every discipline in the hospital.  I also realise that I'm not a bad as I thought I was, and that it  is thanks to your colleagues at the hospital helping me realise that there are people in worse situations.  So thank you.  It's all been worthwhile.

GP- Ok, but steady on.  There are a number of other options we could consider.

AS - Such as?

GP- There is the Pain Clinic.

AS- Drugs to control pain.  I'm not in pain, just stiff.

GP - There is Physiotherapy?

AS - I spoke with them and they recommend exercise.  I do plenty and it's not changing.

GP - Occupational Therapy?

AS - Walking aids?  No thanks. Not just yet

GP- Acupuncture?...(nope) Traction?...(nope).  

Yes I agree, we are getting no where.  I wish you good day Mr Storr.

AS- And same to you doctor.  Can you give me a hand to get up? 







No comments:

Post a Comment