Thursday 14 June 2012

Beyond Me!


As I was driving home from work I stopped at a junction to let an old woman cross.
I was drawn to notice her trainers.
She walked briskly, with her grey hair and green khaki trousers.
I wondered whether my daughter would look like her when she was old,
And I thought of the world in which my children will be old, and I will not be there.

Que, a poem.

   You did not choose to be,
   But you realised my dream.

   Growing up, surrounded by my smiles and frowns,
   My presence never far from you.

   I marvel at the things that make us alike,
   Also the things which make you quite unique.

   We both like shorts, functionality, and see little in jewelry,
   Your natural affinity with dogs prepares me for animals smells in the future.

   The influence of the past is strong, like the tangle within each cell.
   One day my influence will wain, and you will walk out across the road on your own.

   You will be free, and will express yourself with confidence and individuality,
   And somehow, we will smile to each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment