Saturday 11 April 2015

Grateful to the ARP

Today I cycled to Marion's for our family post-Easter celebration.  I have done it twice before and always found the route difficult at Stoke Albany.  I've been known to carry my bike up a steep embankment to join the main road.  No exception today.  I roded through Wilbarston and then the road began to peter out, as in the 'road to the North' (a Southern joke).  I ended up on the outskirts of a vast World War II aerodrome.

In the distance, I could see someone coming towards me along the runway on an old shopping bicycle.  He was distinguished, with a trilby hat, in a flowing black coat.

  "Can I get through to Pipewell this way?" I asked, hoping he might be a Pipewell resident, the Vicar perhaps?  He frowned, and shook his head, and in a plum english accent said

"Not unless you can cope with a lot of mud.  Better to go this way," and he pointed to a metaled farm track leading off at an angle.  It will take you to a village called 'Pipwell'.  Your'll find your way from there."

I thanked him, and as we separated I'm sure he added, " and remember not to talk to strangers.  Careless words cost lives.  And observe the blackout."

Sites/Sights I passed today
Pipewell Church-  apparently pronounced 'Pipwell'
The Eleanor cross in Geddington
Boughton House, Kettering

No comments:

Post a Comment