Friday 17 February 2017

Begs the question...

From my Great Grandmothers account of her life I am left wondering...

Where did Cicely live when she was head teacher of Solihull Girl and Infant School?  Was she living with Ernest in Claverdon?  If so, how did she did get to work?  I note the journey is 40 minutes by train these days, but involves walking at both ends.  Did she drive?

What did Ernest do in Paris during the First World War?  When did he come back to the UK?

Was it really called The English Embassy?  British Embassy, surly?

And what about Mill Lane, Warwickshire?  Is it this view? (From Alcester)

Painting of Mill Lane by William Albert Green.
I note that if the law had not been changed, my grandmothers maiden name would have been Orton.

Other interesting searches question my family's use of spelling.  The baptism record at St John the Baptist says...
Cieley Annie NealeParents
Edwin,
Sarah

Her birth record say Cycely Annie Neale born 1879. (may have been a poor copyist)

I think I shall visit Westwoods Heath with my mother to see the famous Coussmaker Graves, the plaque to Edmund Roy, visit the great house at Stoneleigh, and see the school.

Map of Neale Family Movements
I am guessing the following schools are the schools Cicely refers to.  She spells Boulton, 'Bolton'.  I am guessing this is a confusion, having a son-in-law from a town of that name.  Boulton is named after Matthew Boulton, Manufacturer and Engineer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Boulton.
Cicely describes her third school as Canterbury Road.  I can only find a school called Canterbury Cross, so I am guessing this is the one.
First School - Highfield Road - Saltley, Birmingham

Second School - Boulton Road - Handsworth, Birmingham

Third School - Canterbury Cross School - Handsworth
Derby Diocesan Institution for the Training of Schoolmistresses,
Uttoxetor New Road, Derby

Now a College for Business and Law


Names of equal status in our family:  Orton, Neale, Lucas, Singleton, Starr, Clark,


No comments:

Post a Comment