Friday 2 June 2017

The Interview

Today in Birmingham, as I walked by the university, I imagined being interviewed to become an architecture student in another life.  The assignment given in the interview was 'do something with the BT tower- Birmingham to make it look presentable.

Here are my thoughts:-

The dimensions of design.
  • Straight lines or curves?  Symmetrical or asymmetrical?
  • The roof- a feature or subtle necessity?
  • Cladding- materials, maintenance costs, patterns. tessellations.
  • How does it fit with the environment?  neighbouring buildings?
  • Windows and doors.  
  • Dramatic or subtle impact?
  • What's the budget?  
  • Will it have a design feature?  Something that draws the eye?
  • Cultural context? Is it an echo from the past or something new? 
  • Smooth or textured?  or both?
  • Monochrome or polychromatic?
  • Big picture and fine detail.
I then designed my new tower because the current one is a disgrace.

The BT tower- needs some work.

This was the building I was most
impressed with

This is called The Cube  - interesting but
I think it has design problems.





































The Malala Library - It's definitely an improvement from the multi-story
car park that was there before.  The interior is splendid.


No comments:

Post a Comment