Sunday 17 September 2017

Blessed be the Bread

Bread - staple diet in Europe, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
It has a special status- not to be thrown away in Islamic traditions.  I think  of how corpses are similarly disposed of in Zoroastrianism.

We have a book that describes how Australian aboriginal people made bread from grass seed.  Ants winnow the seed.  Seed was scattered round an ants nest. The ants, partial to only the husks, leave the seeds for later collection.  Then to cook on a fire.  The origin of damper.

Not to eat and drink is possible, but only for a time.  It's essential to life.  What about praying or being close to God?  I think of what it is like for me when I neglect this.

The bread of life defines this significance.  We must eat and drink to live.  In the same way we must accept Christ. into our body - as our medicine, necessary for our healing.  No wonder Christians got a bad name in Rome.

Jesus said "Peter, I have to wash your feet- It is necessary."  Jesus wash me too.

How to cook damper

No comments:

Post a Comment