Tuesday 27 July 2021

The Classical Reception

Impaling Classical Art by  Bai Yiluo 

My friend's son has just completed a Masters Degree on the 'Classical Reception' at King's College London.  For a few weeks found myself fishing around for the term in my memory, not so much because I needed it, but because I wanted reassurance that I could retrieve it.  I frustrated myself searching for it as I sometime do for my misplaced (and essential for work) phone.   I even contacted my friend to ask him what his son's Master's had been on.  He couldn't remember, remarking that it was 'all Greek to him'.  The issue became more urgent as the days ticked by.   Here was a fascinating concept (examining how subsequent generations across the world, but particularly in Europe, have absorbed, honoured and emulated Greek and Roman ideas, culture and beliefs) just beyond my reach.  

The term briefly appeared in my mind whilst watching the film 'Northangar Abbey', (DVD found in a holiday cottage draw) as we  observed Kathy's reception into polite Georgian society.  I grasped the word, but it was slippery.  A few days latter it was gone.  

I remembered that the word would appear on the King's College website describing the course, and sure enough it was there, now ordinary and rather unglamorous.

I now find it everywhere.  My brother tells me that he will present a lecture in Poland on 'The Reception of M.K. Sarbievius' Poetry in Britain'. 

I am also interested to know more about the Egyptian Reception.  How much of ancient Egyptian culture affects us today?  Peter is also an authority on the Arabic Reception.

It's a useful concept, and that's why I write about it.  I can always return to my blog.

The Classical Reception at King's College London








No comments:

Post a Comment