Friday 2 July 2021

Song of Songs

 

Henna in Blossom

Young Woman

Kiss me once again with lips that surpass wine,

Your name’s a sweet aroma, a link to the divine.

 

Women of Jerusalem

Better than wine indeed, their joy is made complete,

Young Woman

When all about adore you, but only our eyes meet.

 

Sun burnt unkempt I, yearn to follow you,

Where flocks rest at noon, I sojourn there too.

 

Young Man

Stop doubting and receive that you’re completely loved,

All I have I share with you, our fortunes jointly doved.

 

As pharaoh’s trembling stallion beholds a perfect mare,

I too am mesmerised by tumbling, cascading hair.

 

Young Woman

Sweet bouquets of henna I nestle upon my breast,

Inhale sweet aromas, lay your head and rest.

 

Young Man

As azure drops sparkle are your dazzling eyes,

Young Woman

Soft grass for our bed, cedar beams our skies.

 

A crocus I will be from Sharron’s verdant vale,

Young Man

I choose you as a lily, all else by it doth pale.

 

Young Woman

Under this tree I rest, for your fruit to taste,

One arm ‘neath my neck, other round my waist.

 

Wise women stir passion only when the time is right,

Here my lover approaches, bounding in morning light.

 

‘Let us run’ calls he, ‘winter winds have passed away,

Shoots of the vine appear, hope’s buds here to stay.’

 

Young Man

Come now from hiding, stand tall and boldly speak,

Your shining face I desire, your wondrous presence seek.

 

Women of Jerusalem

Watch for the little foxes! Enter and they’ll ruin the crop,

Young Woman

My lover’s mine and I am his, he bounds hills with a hop.

 

Awake I lay in bed, but my lover didn’t come,

Door to street I searched, in panic began to run.

 

In vain asked all ‘he’d gone without trace?’

Then my lover appeared, we silently embrace.

 

Wise women stir passion only when the time is right,

Women of Jerusalem

What’s this commotion!  A king displays his might?

 

Young Woman

Come and meet my king, crowned for his wedding day,

Young Man

Overawed by your beauty I know not what to say.

 

Mouth, cheek, and slender neck, pair of bouncing fawn…

Through the night I travelled, arriving at break of dawn.

 

You’ve captured my heart, love better that wine,

Enter a scented garden, sup fruit of the vine.

 

Young Woman

Winds blow north and south, fragrance swirls beside,

Young Man

Great treasure, spiritual sister, perfection, my bride.

 

Women of Jerusalem

Lover and beloved see, your joy is made complete!

   

Young Woman

And now to bed alone, my heart remained awake,

At the door a knock? With uncertainty I quake.

 

But I am ashamed, lacking hope to dare,

I go to the door, finding no one is there.

 

Wondered into darkness, into dangerous night,

Terrors attack me, compounding my plight.

 

Wise women seek my lover, tell him I endure.

 

Women of Jerusalem

You so highly esteemed, your lover’s worth this pain?

Young Woman

My lover’s dark and dazzling, no one matches his name.


Women of Jerusalem

Such love to us convinces, agreeing we come to your aide,

Young Woman

But too late I’ve found him, found in a lily-stroon glade.

 

Young Man

So wondrous you are, fine cities can’t compare,

Cheeks aglow, such teeth, flowing, bounding, hair.

 

If sixty, eighty, countless hoards, stood before me now,

I would see but only one, no one else but thou.

 

‘All’ sing your praises, every noble and queen,

Fairer than the moon, than any banner seen.

 

Young Woman

I go to the walnut grove, to glean if spring’s near,

Strong is my desire to find my charioteer.

 

Women of Jerusalem

We know that you will leave us, love must take its chance,

Young Man

All eyes are now upon you, along the line you dance.


This king is transfixed, delight overflows,

Every detail delightful, from Carmel to toes.

 

See the curves of a palm tree, high fruit in a pair,

Wake with wine washed kisses, more to hope than dare.

 

Young Woman

I am my lovers and he is mine,

We inspect the blossom, the fruit of the vine.

 

I can’t help imagining had you been my twin,

Nestled safely together our mother within.

 

Stir up deep passion just as time perfects,

Women of Jerusalem

This love is blessed, streaming light attest.

 

Young Woman

Beneath this tree wake, once born in this place,

Deluges of water cannot love erase.

 

Young Woman’s Brother

Our sister is too young, I’ll wall her in a tower,

She disgraces her family, despoils her flower.

 

Young Woman

Not fair I protest, free me my brother,

This vineyard is mature, and promised to my lover.

 

Young Man

I listen for your voice as we enter the garden,

Young Woman

Let's continue up higher onto the mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment