Monday, 31 August 2026

R.I.P. HELCH

 On Saturday I admired the art work painted onto a bridge over the M1 as we by-passed Luton.  The bridge was not very pretty, and the graffiti was well executed.  Symmetrical, and pleasing.

Later I learned that it was by Helch, a 34 mystery man from Hayes, London.  Tragically also that on that very day it had been announced that he has died.  I pray for his family.  The picture below is the other side of the bridge.  (I do believe the 'L' is upside down.)  Not everyone gets a Wikipedia page. 

What do you think of Helch taking liberties on our motorway system?  My thought is that his contribution is a gift to us.  No one paid him.  To quote Anthony Gormley (sculptor)  "Art has to change things, and if it was immediately acceptable it would not be doing the job."

Did Helch also paint this on a bridge closer to Northampton?






No comments:

Post a Comment