Monday 12 September 2022

MARK - My Words (20)

 

Peter and Jesus spoke on the way (to the Mount of Olives).

Jesus explained, “As has been foretold, everyone will desert me, and I will be alone.  Remember Zechariah says, ‘The Shepherd will be struck down, and the sheep will scatter’."  

Peter frowned. “Look, whatever you say about the others, I am with you to the death.” 

Jesus replied, “that’s not how it is.  I know what is about to happen.  Before the sun rises and the cockerel greets the morning you will have told three people that you’ve never met me.” 

Peter was affronted.  “How can you say that.  That’s just not me.”

The other friends echoed Peter in a forest of denials.

In the dusk, they moved into the cool of the olive grove.  Jesus asked his friends to stay alert while he spent time with the Creator.  Peter, James and John joined Jesus.  Jesus became greatly distressed.  “I’m in despair” he groaned.  “I feel the pain that is about to come.  Please stay awake and comfort me.”

Jesus paced around calling out to the Creator “Is there any possibility of another way?  This is unbearable.  It’s too painful to swallow.  Think, can it be done some other way?  But I know you love me, and will have thought of everything, so I trust you.” 

Jesus found his friends oblivious to his suffering.  They had fallen asleep.  Waking them, Jesus plead for them to stay awake with him, and watch for approaching trouble.  Apologetically they tried, but in vain. Jesus could see that they were weak, and although they intended to be there for him, their bodies weren’t up to it.

Jesus continued to be restless with tormenting thoughts about what was happening. The friends continued to struggle to stay awake.  Then Jesus called out “Get up!  It’s time! The one to betray me has arrived.”

If only we could stay awake, and feel as Jesus does.  What would we see? Would we in fact be strong enough to endure it?  Jesus reassures us.  We will.  He pleads with us to 'Stay awake'. 

'The Spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.'

The Creator was aware of this when we were first brought into existence.  It was known that we would not be successful; not the first time round at least.  But there are some who just 'fall asleep'.  Others do things that make us think that it would have been better if they had never been born.  

Yet from day one, when the dice was first spun, the plan was always to create a way out of this place.  There is a cliff.  It is close now.  But with Jesus we move away from the cliff, and the intense crashing sounds from the foot of the cliff falls silent.

No comments:

Post a Comment