Wednesday 18 April 2018

Chapter Fouteen The Journey Away


Chapter 14
Four wet children, and two adults in a boat. What a surprise to discover that it was Baralard who had acquired our rescue vehicle.  He had also done all the planning, and masterminded our escape.  I could not have guessed that there was an ounce of intelligence in his body.  As for being Kinti's uncle; families never cease to amaze me.  Baralard propelled the canoe with one long oar from the back which he skilfully rotated backwards and forwards.  We made slow, but silent progress through the chilly mist.  By now we were very cold, and I think Roti was aware of this because she looked concerned and talk furtively to Baralard, pointing to the wooded banks of the fiord.  I gathered that there was concern also about meeting up with a ship sailing out into the sea.  We did however pull up and Baralard, with care I had never seen demonstrated before, carried each one of us into the woods and  placed us in a hollow made by an upturned root base of a collapsed tree.  The vertical wall of roots gave a sense of protection and homeliness.  Again I marvelled at Baralard's ability to start a fire from scratch.  I had been used to rekindling fire from embers every morning, but here we witnessed an expert at work.  Within a moment, lifesaving heat and billowing smoke enveloped us.  Very soon our cloaks were steaming hot and we fell asleep, leaning upright against the roots. When we awoke, it was first light.  Roti had a hot drink ready for us, and we took it in turns drinking from a large horn cup.  It was fun, and I recalled the many drinking games we had seen the sailors indulge in late at night. Invariably someone would fall off their bench, to gaffors of laughter.  Roti also produced some food.  Freedom made this tasted wonderful; some slightly damp bread, and salty cheese.  Seated out in the wilds once again reminded me of meals I had shared with my people at home.  We always began by looking up into the sky and being grateful for all good gifts.  I looked up, and notice Honya watching me, and she too looked up with curious eyes. I grinned at her and remarked "we're alive and free, isn't it wonderful." She grinned back and said she was just glad we were all together.  Roti and Baralard were talking again.  They were discussing how safe we might be.  Would we be seen on the fiord? Did we need to travel by night, and rest by day? How much food had they brought? There were quite a few ships moving up and down the fiord every day, and our absence for sure would provoke a response. Everyone knew that the best way out of Oshlo would be on the water.  A ship with a sail and a favourable wind would catch us up in a few hours.  Six people propelled by a one oared boat was not going to be quick.  It was decided that the canoe would have be abandoned.  We would need to follow the side of the fiord towards the sea staying hidden in the trees.    How we got out to the ship might be a problem, but maybe we would find a ferryman.  We had our coins, though none of us had a clue how much each was worth, and we would be at the mercy of strangers.
Food, drink, warm clothes, dry weather, everything made me feel good.  Soon we were cheerfully bounding over boulders, and ducking under low branches.  All the time we kept an eye out for the blue glint of water and the fiord.  Baralard insisted on silence, which for Kinti was her natural state, but for Honya was a form of torture.  The journey was far longer than Baralard had expected.  All his reconiscense was based on the reports he picked up from our customers.  He described the headland, where the land become a bare, broad expanse of rock, with isolated intrepid trees poking up through deep fissures.   Here we heard about a small fishing port, built on stilts out into the sea, where the people were described as foreign, and hostile.  We wondered what lay in store. Like most escapees I guess, the thought was there that we might end up worse off than before.  Then I remembered Tilda, her words when we first hit trouble in Jokou.  "We have done nothing wrong, and we are not alone." I had knew deep down we were doing the right thing. This was a risk worth taking no matter what was to happen.  I was with my new family,  and everything was good.
At last my old skills came to the fore.  This journey was pretty much like our expedition, and my expeditionary knowledge came back to me with ease.  First I was able to find safe mushrooms, eggs and wild herbs.  With Kinti, I shinned up tall pine trees to recce the route.  I noticed short cuts, and where passing ships might be avoided. Finally I helped find where the best places to sleep might be. I'm not sure how many nights passed. So far we were completely on our own, but I had seen smoke from my observations. Eventually I saw the sea, and we knew our next challenge was soon approaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment