Sunday 29 April 2018

Semper Eadem -a forward

'Semper Eadem' is the motto of the city of Leicester. It means 'always the same'. This story ties to find a time when human existence was 'primative' and timeless.  It tries to find a theme which might be recognised across all human existence,

Is it possible to see, think and feel through the body of a early human child from perhaps 50,000 years ago? Perhaps not, but this story attempts to imagine a world where none of the belief structures that surround me and affect my daily life are present.  The story is told through the eyes of a child of indeterminant race, gender and age.  The reader is invited to fix all these features themselves, and fill in any gaps left in the narrative.

I have taken my inspiration from Yuval Noah Harari's book 'Homo Sapien' which describes the virtues of 'hunter-gather' existences before the farming revolution. I have wondered how the core beliefs of my faith might be expressed if everything that is culturally determined has been removed and redefined.    Other source material I have used comes from a book that Margaret and I brought back from Austraila which was designed to help urban aboriginal children understand some of their cultural history.  I also found some inspiration from hearing a fascinating description by Sarah Marquis from surviving three months in the Kimberleys, North Western Australia, broadcast by the BBC World Service. Also a BBC documentary films about life in the Amazon jungle.

This story tries to express something about the timeless essence of human existence.  It searches for a strong, permanent and all encompassing definition of hope, meaning and purpose.

I am hoping that this story might be read by 10 to 13 year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment