Monday 16 April 2018

Chapter Twelve The Beginning of a Plan


Chapter 12
Being young and dependent, I held on to an inner hope that one day soon, loving familiar faces would appear and whisk me away.  But the longer I lived up in the roof space with my new brother and two sisters, the more we bonded together and needed each other.  I started to realise that the idea of simply leaving this place and returning to my old life was becoming a fantasy.  I was changing, and this new existence was seeping into me. As with our pet wolf some years back, which initially had been wild, unpredictable and free, but later came to eat out of my hand, so too I became biddable, and eager to please.

 As my knowledge of the new language developed, so I started to have that definitive experience of dreaming in my new tongue.  At first I would wake with a start, and have to slap my face and repeat all my different names off over and over to myself, trying desperately to recall each face.  But the faces that became familiar were the ones about me.  Even 'back turning' Kinti, with her sad mournful eyes, began to mean a lot to me.  Every morning we were up early, not woken with the smile and gentle stroke of my big sister, but with the shouts from the kitchens, and banging on a large caldron.  "Get up you lazy kids, get down here." There was no morning washing ritual, or peaceful meditation.  No warm encouraging words, or unifying sense of a community about you rejoicing in simply being alive.  We knew what was expected of us.  The first job was to rush round the large dining room, over which our sleeping balcony was slung.  Down we came on a long wild pole, steps evenly notched into its sides.  The place was invariably a tip.  Beer mugs, half eaten carcasses of meat, and hideous piles of vomit.  Sometimes the mess's creator might be found, slumped on a bench, head right in the stinking mess.  We scurried down to the sea and drew up buckets of sea water with which we used to slews down all the tables’ benches and floors.  I would go and find the more friendly of our two cooks called Roti, and bring her in to deal with the drunken brutes, who as sleeping dogs, hadn't made it home.  She was masterful at getting them on to their feet, with cooing, coaxing words that made them think that their darling mothers had come and taken them to their breast. Once outside, she gave them a gentle nudge, and they generally collapsed once again in a heap.  With the dining hall slopped out and smelling of the sea, we brought in wood to stoke up the embers of the fire from the night before.  Then we sat together, especially on a cold morning, close to each other and the  enlivened flames. Our friendly cook would bring up our morning porridge. This moment in the day was the best for me.   No adults other that Roti, would be around. She joined us, always sitting close to Kinti.  I felt they must be from the same tribe as they shared similar features.  Kinti seemed at last relaxed, and even ventured to look my way.  But this was a brief moment of peace. Very soon our daily duties kicked in, and along with it the kicking that occurred if anything was felt to be a miss, or not a miss.  If  we had had a cat, I guess I might have kicked it.  This was the way we lived.

Our diner was often the first place sailors from all over the known world would come.  Straight into our bar, ordering tankards of beer, with colourful language, and coins from every realm.  We were fascinated by the sight of all this strange money, though we were forbidden to touch it.  Seeing these exotic pictures on these small discs reminded me that perhaps I might meet one of my compatriots, fresh from a far off place.  I knew some of the sailors who came our way were slaves, or perhaps freed slaves, because each slave, and we were no exception, had a notch cut out of their ear. This had happened to me as we left Jokou.  It was a permanent reminder that everything has changed in my life.  But I did not see anyone I knew, and my language, not even a lilt, came past my ears.  All day we took orders, scurried between benches, avoided being trodden on, and carried heavy loads.  Some of the sailors were kindly, and tried to pat our heads.  Others were distinctly dangerous, we looked out for each other, warning each other to be careful and avoid groping hands.  The work went on unrelentingly day after day, always the same.  Often too exhausted to talk, our main comfort was to lean against each other and sometimes hold each other.  We would save choice morsels of food from the tables, and share them together.  Some kind sailors might press coins into our hands.  It was forbidden that we should have any money.  If we were seen, the coins would be handed over dutifully to the manager, who with a scolding frown, would ungraciously snatch at the money.  When no one was looking, and some sailors knew what they were doing, that money would be hidden high in the roof of the building.  We had not a clue of how much we had been given, but we knew this was important stuff, and might be useful to us some day.  Then one day,  Kinti's enigmatically secretes began to be revealed.
That day, our nemesis, Baralard, the violent objectionable cook that made Roti appear like an angel, did not appear.  There were no curses, or great banging of the caldron.  Instead Roti's head poked up from the ladder pole.  She had a bright excited face.  She explained that she and Kinti were sisters.  That Baralard  was unwell today. She looked at each one of us in the face and encouraged us not to give up.  She knew we were going to be alright.  She and Kinti had a plan.  We were all to be saved.  Then the manager arrived and Roti was unceremoniously pulled down from the pole by a leg. She got a harsh slapping, bruising her eye, and was banished to the kitchens.  No porridge that day, but we had had a different form of sustenance.  The manager could pick up on something, and things became more rough. But then life went back to its usual tedious pattern, though not quite the same. My bond with Kinti was sealed. I knew she trusted me, and I was now on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment