Tuesday 16 February 2021

Lent One "Get up and Walk"

Something from Nothing by Karin Goeppert
For sale on Art2Arts
Our dream dashes itself against the great mystery like a wasp against a window pane.  Less merciful than man, God never opens the window.  Jules Renard - Journal, 1906

In 1985 Joe Simpson and Simon Yates scales Siula Grande, a 6344 meter mountain in the Peruvian Andes.  On the way down Joe slipped and fell off an ice cliff.  Strapped to each other by rope, Yates attempted a rescue.  When this failed he famously 'cut the rope'.  Simpson fell 46 meters into an ice crevasse.  In the film 'Touching the Void' Simpson says that at that moment he called out to 'God' offering himself and asking for a 'spiritual experience'.  Absolutely nothing happened.  Simpson then went on to crawl for three days out of the icing tomb, and made it back to their base camp alive.  'Mountaineering' magazine described this in 2012 as "amongst the most remarkable instances of survival against the odds". - So was his pray answered?  I believe many assumptions about what 'a Creator' should do were being made here.

 John 14: 15-30

“If you desire to love me, see things from my perspective.

You will always to be able to do this because we'll do it together…

 “… I'll be a living presence in you.  We'll travel together…

 “… Our relationship together will help you to see and know things clearly.

Don't be put off if others cannot see my presence.  You see me because of our bond…

 “It goes like this…

 “…I am linked to the creator of all, I am linked to you, and you are linked to me.  Therefore, you are linked to the creator. I hold you, and you hold me.”

 Then Judas (the other one) spoke up.

 "Why can't this be for everyone?" he said.

 "Everyone who wants to follow my way does so because they love me, and the creator,” Jesus replied. “We are friends and live together.  I'm not making this up.  It has been said from the dawn of time."

 "The gift that I give you is peace in your heart and mind.  This is something no one can take from you. These current tribulations enable you to know the reality of what I am saying."

A 'Friend', a 'Guide' (courtesy of dreamtime.com)

PRAYER: I accept you they way you are, just as you accept me.

Other aphorisms by Jules Renard

  • The horse is the only animal into which one can bang nails.
  • The only man who is really free is the one who can turn down an invitation to dinner without giving an excuse.
  • Writing is the only way to talk without being interrupted.

No comments:

Post a Comment