Friday 19 February 2021

Lent Four "Get up and Walk"

'Hold Me Together' by Aykut Aydogdu 

 
If God were not a necessary Being of Himself. He might almost seem to be made for the use and benefit of men.  John Tillotson, Sermons, 1694

Tillotson, the Dean of Canterbury Cathedral, was drawn into the many discussions of the time about the nature of Christ.  All the orthodoxies were being questioned.  It was an exciting and unstable time.  In the modern age, it is 'science' that has become the 'god of the gaps'.  Now there is an explanation, but how much does it faces this 17 century scrutiny?  

My personal quote based on Tillotson is:-

Science is not necessary for life, but it does calm the nerves.

John's Gospel Chapter One

Truly indescribable- in fact, I'm lost for words,

Complex from the beginning, as a murmuration of birds.

Omnipresent coexistent, appears in human frame,

I am charged to go before, this mystery to explain.

Of existence, all that's stable, true and upright,

Joy, energy, wisdom, come together to ignite.

But many see right through this, as if it were not there,

It's not what they expected, not what they hoped to dare.

Those that even dimly see, and want to cast their crown,

Will never be the same again, their world turned upside down.

Aware that I’m unworthy his shoes e’n to unlace,

Tearing up the form book, He reaches to embrace.

 It's as if the queen comes knocking saying, "Let me in, make haste,

I want to get to know you, it's good to see and taste."

Heart beating fast, descending stairs, I leave my attic view,

Choose to be adopted royal, because? Simply, "I love you."

PRAYER: All the answers you give are a bonus-  All I need is to hold your hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment