Wednesday 30 May 2012

Messages

A message from my youth, seen as I gazed up at the ceiling during a recital of chamber music with my grandparents at the Conway Hall, South Place, Bloomsbury.

The line obviously comes from the Bard, but it really is the motto of western culture.  I actually believe it to be suspect.

Rationale:
Truth and honesty are admirable qualities.  However I find that there is a process of discovery going on all the time where I may think that I am understanding myself, and being honest, but actually find that I am deceiving myself.  Example.  Motivation.  I think that my motivation is clear and simple, but find later that I am motivated for more complex reasons.  Have you ever completed a Myers-Briggs personality questionnaire with soemone you know well?  I rest my case.

What does being true to myself mean?  What is the consequence?  How does it impact on my behaviour?  Is it a licence to self centred indulgence?

Being true to others is the highest form of love.  Giving forgiveness to someone who does not even seek it must be the most altruistic act on earth.


No comments:

Post a Comment