Saturday 12 May 2012

Today I heard the first Swift


Today I heard the first swift;
Like the day a thawing river breaks free from its icey grip.
The swift screeched down our road, confidently announcing its arrival.
My mind was taken to the top floor landing at 34, Willoughby Road.
On a sunny afternoon, warm light floods through the open sash window.
My grandparents snooze downstairs; I feel the lethargy and restraint of the afternoon.
Swifts screech high over the steeple of Christ Church, Hampstead.
They make sorties round the stepped roofs, leading up to the White Stone Pond.
I feel the calm and joy expressed in their flight.
Today a screeching swift brought me reassurance and wonder.

I never noticed this misspelt sign as a child.  There again spelling is not my strong point.


No comments:

Post a Comment