Monday 26 February 2024

Lent- Day Twelve

The ruins of Kreuzkirche, Dresden
by Bernardo Bellotto Canaletto,
Following the Prussian invasion of 1767
Kunsthaus, Zurich
"For the nation or kingdom that will not serve you will perish; it will be utterly ruined." Isaiah 60 Verse 12

Harsh words?  What does this say to me?  In today's context I understand that anything that is not rooted in the kingdom of God will perish, just like plants that are not rooted in life giving soil with shrivel up and die.  This reminds me of the story Jesus told of the seed falling on the different fields.  The land that is ready to receive will be blessed.

Question: Where can I see the life of God flourishing about me?
 Prayer: I know that my roots are firmly rooted in you, and I am thankful.

Here is the same view of Dresden painted by Canaletto 17 years earlier.

In 1750 Canaletto painted the church. 
I wonder how he felt painting it again in ruins.



No comments:

Post a Comment