Sunday 18 February 2024

Lent - Fifth day

by Charles Taylor - credit: Baron Fine Art, London
"Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth on the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come." Isaiah 60 verse 5

Who is 'you'?  I believe it is Jesus.  In his life on earth, Jesus had very little by way of wealth.  His security was in his friendships.  When he was given expensive things, I fear that people questioned whether he deserve them (Mary Magdalene washed his feet in expensive perfume.)  But the One who created all things, and is the source of all things (both good and bad), is entitled to the good things Kings and Rules expect as a right.  Yet for sure, our Creator is not really drive by the passions we wrestle with.  The wealth on the seas was given to us, and a 'Gift is a Gift, is a Gift', but only to the extent that we know it is only our 'right' because it is a gift.  Like the prodigal.  "Give me my birthright now!"

We say "it's much better to live in the doorway of the court of the monarch", and feel the wealth and security about us.  No one starves, and the entertainments are wonderful.

Question:  How much do I see that all that I have is a gift?

Prayer:  May I always know that what I have is to be shared.



No comments:

Post a Comment