Thursday 3 December 2020

Advent Four

 

Woman at the Well by Marcello Venusti

We shift again to the present where an unusual contact takes place in the Palestinian territory of the West Bank.  Jesus meets with a woman he has never met before in a café.

Living Well

I work in a cafe in a Palestinian town called Nablus.  Although our premises is near the religious site called Jacob’s Well, we are not really for the adventurous American and Korean tourists who are willing to contend with check points and security to see their beloved Biblical sites. Ours is more for 'local women and their children', a get-away or oasis in the sunny prison of the West Bank.

It was the hottest part of the day when a young, smart Jewish man slipped in and sat down at a lone table.  The cafe was empty; our lot tend to head off for a snooze by now.  I was on my own, clearing up from the morning.  I hesitated for a few minutes before approaching his table.

"Some mineral water please," he requested politely.  And he looked me straight in the eye.  That's disconcerting; we don't normally do that in our religion.  It's quite a taboo.  I gave him a funny look, but he went on.

“If only you knew the water I can give to you..."

I said, "Looks like you have nothing with you."  And under my breath," you'd better have money.” We are used to Jews taking liberties round here.  "The very best water comes from Jacob's well," I offer, something of topical interest.  We are all united in the greatness of our forefather Jacob.  We're not that different really.  The man again looks at me.

“Jacob's well is special, but it will never satisfy you for long,” he says. “The water I have to offer is for eternal life."

Wow - blow me away - you don't hear that said in this old joint every day.

"Hey man,” say I. "You are truly deep.  I like your drift." 

"Why don't I talk with your husband?” he says. (I guess he knows we can't be seen talking like this.)  Thank heavens no one's come in so far. 

"I've got no husband," I protest, presenting a provocative smile. 

"Yes" he says, "I know.  Your boyfriend has only just moved in with you.  You deserve better than those five guys who use you and let you down."  My blood ran cold.  That was very close to the bone.

"You are a strange man" I say, "a clairvoyant or a mystic?" (We get lot of religious cranks round here.)  "So our prophet says worship on a Friday, but you lot choose Saturday. Why's that?"

The man turns.

"The time is coming when days of the week won't matter a jot.  We will all worship the creator, face to face."  My whole being is trembling.  I feel surges of emotion; I can't tell you how alive I feel. 

"We both believe that someone is coming to show us the face of the creator," I say.

“I've come to you today to do just that."

He picked up his ice-chilled bottle, dropped two shekels on the table, and I never saw him again.  I rushed out after him in a daze.  My sister saw me and came over quite concerned.

"I've just met a man who knew everything about me," I said.  My sister stroked my cheek.  "There, there sis,” she says.  She knows my problem with men.  I notice her darting look up to the hot sun.

A chance encounter between Jesus and someone he would 

not normally have contact with.  But was it chance?

“He told me everything I ever did!”  Am I willing to have the ones I love see all I do and think?  No secrets.  Am I ok about my Creator being with me at all times, aware of my desires, inclinations and despair?  The woman at the well was living her humdrum life.  I guess she knew that she did not have much choice in life.  She had to make do with the dregs of mankind.  Jesus also had tremendous power over her.  She is understandably cautious.  She uses her native wit to protect herself.  But here is a man who uses his power differently.   She can sense that.  She knows that Jesus does not play by the same rules.  Am I aware of the rules that come from heaven?  Am I able to trust that all my needs are known?

PRAYER – May I live my life knowing that my Creator is with me day and night.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment