Wednesday 9 December 2020

Advent Ten

 

The Good Shepherd By Nadine Valentin

Jesus uses pictures to explain the nature of God.  The stories he uses can be understood in all generations.  This story fits with a contemporary metaphor.  The creator is compares with a good headteacher.

The Good Head

"You who believe in coincidental, purposeless evolution should be suspicious of anyone who tries to get into a school without signing in at reception.  They are very likely to have evil designs."

"The good head teacher stands by the entrance and greets all the students as they arrive.  She knows them by name. The students know her too, and trust that she only ever has right intentions. When she calls, they follow, just a pace behind.  They would not do that to a stranger.  They are suspicious of even his voice."

"I tell you, I am the 'Good head teacher'.  Don't believe anyone else who tell you they are, they are liars and tricksters.  I make it my duty to ensure that everyone in my school is safe.

"I know my students, and they know me.  I know others who want to join, and they are welcome. There are plenty of spaces here."

"I'll give my life for the care for my people.  You may think you can cause havoc, but I chose to do this knowing that it will only be for a short time. All will be well."

"This is unprofessional language," said some.  "He's obsessed."

"You're being a bit harsh," said others, "he's a just very committed, and these kids have nothing else."

Everything is seen, everything matters.  

There is someone who cares.

The comedian Ricky Gervais said on ‘BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Disks’ that his mother believed in Jesus.  She was a single parent with four small children, and he figured she thought an extra pair of eyes looking over her brood would help.

To me, the greatest gift we can have to start us off in life is to have at least one caring, sensitive, loving parent who keeps an eye on the distance we wonder, notes the wolves  that prowl, and opens our eyes to the nature of true, unconditional love. People with secure roots can venture out into the world with confidence.  They have a safe place to return to.  Our Creator is such a one, who is aware of opportunity and danger.  One who understands the appropriate balance of adventure vs peril.  Do I believe this?  Do all the creatures of the earth matter to the Creator?  Is this a hopeful and idolised projection, as suggested by Feuerbach?  How do I know I am loved, and am safe?

PRAYER – Let us ensure that all our relationships are based on reality.  Let us not only offer our creator evidence of our love, but also receive evidence of the Creator’s love for us.


Painting of the Good Shepherd
from Catacombs in Rome 3rd Century

No comments:

Post a Comment