Sunday 13 December 2020

Advent Fourteen

Christ and the Apostles - George Rouault 
Metropolitan Museum of Art

 We are trying our best to work out what Jesus means.  It ain’t half confusing and I hope you don’t blame us when we get the wrong end of the stick.  How would you do if you were in our place?

 "Just say that again"

Jesus:  Hey, don't let yourselves be glum!  You know the Creator of all things, and you trust me! Where I am going is a wonderful place. I'll make sure that there's provision for everyone. I'm not leading you on, I'm serious.  And you know exactly how to get there.

Thomas:  Ah, that's the problem we haven't a clue.  Just tell us again.

Jesus: It's me.  Follow me, and you will get there.  I bring you into complete truth, and life as it's designed to be lived.  If you know me, you know the creator of all.  So just think, you've now actually met your Creator!

 Philip:  Yes, that's the bit we need.  Just show us the Creator.

 Jesus:  Look at me Philip, Look.  How do you think I have been able to speak with such authority, and do the wonderful things you have seen happen?  I'm not some crazy magician.  It's the creator inside me.  We are one together.  What's more, we can be inside you too, and you will continue to see amazing things happen. Your lives will bring us both glory and honour.  Ask for anything in my name, we are with you, just think of that! 

Where Jesus tries to explain what is about to happen, 

and how to make sense of it

“Don’t Panic!” – Words to strike terror into the most stable mind.  Jesus tells his friends clearly about what is about to happen, but they are refusing to take it in.  “Do not be troubled”, he says.  Words alone are not enough.  The Jesus says he leaves us a gift.  This gift is ‘Peace of Mind and Heart’.  Have you received this gift?  You know you have when impossible situations arise, and you feel peace.  This is not something you drum up, with prayer and meditation; you recognise that you have it.  It is a gift. 

PRAYER – Thank you Jesus for your most precious gift.  It is my most treasured possession.

No comments:

Post a Comment