Friday 17 December 2021

Day Eighteen - Courage

I'm thinking about courageous women in the biblical account. In the bible we have Rahab (the prostitute as she is called). Rehab helped the Jewish spies even though they were from a different culture and religion.  

Female bravery often involves acts that risk retribution, or actually taking advantage of men's complacency about their power.  Famous examples are Jael with the smashing incident of the tent peg and Sisera's forehead (Judges 4:21), or the account of Judith cutting off the head off Holofernes (in the deuterocanonical  book of Judith) inspiration for many shocking classical paintings.

Another example of bravery is  when a young Jewish woman learnt that she was pregnant, and that the baby she was to carry would have immense significant.  Giving birth requires courage.  Many babies (and mothers) die without the support of modern medicine.  Sometimes things happen, and courage comes as part of the package.  

Another brave woman was Ruth, who chose to remain poor, and stay with her mother-in-law, traveling to a foreign land, were she knew she would stand out.  Here is her story.

From the book of Ruth:
Naomi got wind that things were looking up for Israel; she might be safer with her own family. She
spoke with Oprah and Ruth and suggested they might like to return to their families. They had good
prospects and could start their lives afresh. Naomi knew that her future would continue to be
tough. Oprah agreed to separate, but Ruth was not so sure. Ruth loved Naomi, and respected her.
She made it clear that now she was committed to Naomi and her fortunes. Ruth assured Naomi
saying:
“Where you go, I will go. Your people will be my people. The one you worship, I will worship. And
when I die, I will be buried next to you. My life will be much worse if I was to be separated from you.”

Naomi was impressed, and remonstrated no more. The two women journeyed to Bethlehem. As
they entered the town, many old people recognised Naomi, and were overjoyed to see her.
“Naomi!” They exclaimed. “Call me Bitter“, she replied, “for my life has not worked out well.”

PRAYER:  May I have the courage to put my love for you before all things.  

No comments:

Post a Comment