Tuesday 7 December 2021

Day Eight - Bravery

Horatius Cocles Defending the Bridge by Charles Le Brun  
Dulwich Picture Gallery, London.
Here is a picture of male bravery.  It is an image that repeated across history.  I recall the accounts of  Thomas-Alexandre Dumas (Alexander Duma's father) as retold by Tom Reiss in 'The Black Count'

The interesting thing about Jesus is that the account of his very brave life is very counter-masculine.  Jesus can show anger and protest, but he does not harm anyone, to the extent that when his friend Peter tried to protect him by waving a sword about and inflicting an injury to hapless youth, Jesus uses his healing power to mend the severed ear,

John Chapter Ten
He was very, very lucky to get away alive.
I was one of the group that cornered him at the festival.
We knew he would have to come, so it was only a matter of time before we could get him
alone.
Surrounded as he was, he was careful what he said.
"Say it straight - are the divinely appointed messenger?" We demanded. We're through
with pleasantries."
He replied
 "I have told you so many times, but you've never listened... so what will make the
different now? The ones who know me, and care about; they can tell you."

Surly 'enough'- (we are not likely to get more), this is 'incitement to hatred and intolerance'.
It's cryptic, but that's what we expect. We know he's playing games with us. We must act
while we can. It's the only way terrorist acts can be prevented. 'Catch the snake as it leaves
its hole', as the saying goes. Our actions will be understood in a court of law. Self-defence;
for public well-being.

He will say more. He's pleading now.

"You have seen how the poor have been helped. For which of these acts am I to die?"

It's not for your bloody actions that you die, it's for your words. We have him round the
throat, but he still manages to say more...

"You recall those words... of the Psalmist, in chapter 28, verse 6, "and you are all gods.."
just words.... and I've only said I am 'the son of god'... you never believed me, even when
wonderful things happened to honour the Creator....a paradox eh? you see, impossible for
you to believe.”

Everything went red. I threw a stone, it hit another guy on the head. Lunging and ripping. I
still have a bit of his shirt. How he got away from us, I just don't know... but he did.
He went back to that place where his cousin had been. And people said they saw the link.
His cousin spoke powerfully, but never did amazing things. With this guy; it's all happening.

PRAYER:  Give me the courage to bravely stand for the truth, and never flinch from your side.

NOTE:  The picture I chose for today reminded me of it's counterpoint which I used in
Lent 2021 day 34 called Die Jagd Nach Dem Gluck.  What do you think?  It does lack a horse however.



No comments:

Post a Comment