Tuesday 21 December 2021

Day Twenty Two - Pathos

 

Aristotle, Roman copy of bronze bust by Lysippos (330 BC)
Pathos, I love this word.  It is part of a trilogy, Pathos, Ethos and Logos.  Each one equality important.

Pathos- passion.  This must be genuine.  Ethos, the morality of the argument, and Logos, the logic, the message.

I believe it, I understand it, and I express it.  This is being truly who I am.  

This is the problem with 'sitting on the fence'.  Some issues in life are binary, you are either for, or against.  Abstentions do not exist.  No reacting to bullying homophobia or racism is to condone it.

Also with the way I live my life.  I 'dive in' or I sit on the bank and watch.

This is what John records in chapter 12.

Andrew - "What about Greek? Do we do Greek?"
Jesus - "Who's asking?"
Andrew - "Philips's asking, he's chatting to some Greek tourists."
Jesus - "Does Philip speak Greek?"
Andrew - "I should think so, he's got a Greek name."
Jesus - "Yes, then he can translate. This is for everyone."

The people listened intently, knitted brows and concentrating hard.
"I am now standing on the edge. I can stay back, or step forward."

"Just one grain of wheat must be buried in the ground and 'die' in order for it to become a plant to provide a 100 grains, and feed many."

"The paradox - If you love your life so much that you grasp hold of it to keep it - it will be crushed, and you will lose it. If you hold it lightly, willing for it to be of benefit to all, you receive the priceless gift of life eternal. Are you willing to 'step' with me?"

"Yes, I feel this is terrifying- not easy. But there is no going back. I am committed to glorifying my father."
{And then everyone heard a loud, powerful voice saying "I have done so, and I will again."}

People there were astonished. 
“I think it's an angel helping him to be strong”, said one.

"Not for me, but for you - right now, you need strength."
"This is when evil will be driven out; my body will be lifted up, exalted"

He looked across the crowd. "The Greeks understood that they were included. They understood the double meaning - the paradox."
"Hang on" someone shouted out, "you can't be the 'Messenger for all time', and also the one whose 'body is exalted'? The Bible does not allow it."

{Audible sigh} - "Now is when all this stuff is clear and plain to sort out. Soon you will have to figure it out on your own."

He left us with all these bewildered people. I recall that we've been warned that despite making it 'barn door' obvious, 'people coming alive' for instance, many will not put two-and-two together. I could see that quite a number had been affected however, even those with considerable power and influence, although there is no way they would admit it.

'For goodness sake' - he made it blindingly obvious what he meant. Any fool could
understand him it they were so inclined.

PRAYER:  I Jump in, and trust that you are with me.  Make everything clear to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment