Saturday 4 December 2021

Day Five - Frustration

 

By Roshan Sharma - Saatchi Art
Frustration- a mismatch between what I want and what I can get.  I continue to enjoy George Eliot's quote at the start of Chapter 16 of Middlemarch - 

Pues no podemos haber aquello que queremos, queramos aquello que podremos.

Since we cannot get what we like, let us like what we can get.Spanish Proverb.

(However my Mexican colleague tells me that the Spanish makes no sense at all)

Frustration, often from helplessness, is the stuff of life.  From internet security to classic issues with the toothpaste tube, frustration is designed into our lives.  (Right now I am trying to get this sentence to left align, and it won't.)  
But these frustrations are trivial and nothing. The real frustration is reserved for the injustice meted out on migrating worlds.  Also for the inadequacy of the international response to the destruction of the planet.  This is the sort of frustration, anger and despair that worthy of strong emotion.

This is what Isaiah says of God in Chapter 41

Only I, the creator of all, see how everything interacts.
Far away nations quake, and get ready for war.
They invest heavily in wasted powers.
Great skill goes into producing worthless objects.
People become rich from waste.
The chosen ones, the people who love me,
They should not be discouraged.
“Don’t be afraid, I am here to help you.”
You will be like a new-fangled threshing machine,
Wild flails thrashing about, mowing down the hillside.
When the poor are thirsty, I will notice.
Fountains of water will spring from the valley.

I will plant trees in the desert; cedar, acacia, myrtle, olive, cypress, fir and pine.
This miracle will be to help you understand that this is my plan.

No one else can claim the credit.

Warriors will come from the north. Also from the east.
They will destroy all earthly powers.

I will send Jerusalem a messenger coming with good news.
Earthly powers will be of no use to you now.

PRAYER:  Everything about me fills me with frustration.  Why, why, why?  I look to you and my heart is stilled.


No comments:

Post a Comment