Thursday 9 December 2021

Day Ten - Calm

 

Meules by Claude Monet - Private Collection
There is something about the rising sun that lifts our spirit.  Like a rainbow, it speaks to us of hope and faithfulness.  Sunlight chooses to fill even the most hopeless of situations.  It is a gift, and to me, so is 'calm'.  Calm cannot be drummed up from within.  Just as the 'Keep Calm and Carry on' poster triggers tension and anxiety, methods and mantras are superficial.  

The wonderful thing about a gift, is that a gift is a gift, is a gift....

People talk about 'inner calm', but I am more interested in 'shared calm'.  The greatest affirmation that calm is not 'conjured' is that it is shared equally.  As with all gifts, it is a freewill offering, and must be received.  

These are the words recorded as Mary, mother of Jesus' response to her calling. (Luke 1; 46- 55)


"From the core of my being I honour my Creator,
Though of little significance, I have been chosen for greatness.
Many generations will call me blessed;
For the Creator is doing things beyond wonder and imagining.
I acknowledge this majesty.
Mercy is offered to all who seek the Creator across all millennia.
Authority lies here. 
The proud are scattered in the futility of their desires.
Might powers are brought to nothing, and the hungry find their needs fully met. 
However the rich are sent away empty with nothing.
People who honour the Creator are never forgotten.
This has happened consistently across history.
Our ancestors testify to the amazing experience of mercy,
From our forefather Abraham, and on for every more."

PRAYER:  You take the mundane and make it extraordinary.  
Do the same with me.

54

No comments:

Post a Comment