Saturday 28 March 2020

I give up

Weary and wary, the judge knew from instinct that this case was far more complex than viewed at first sight; there was going to be no easy way out. 

Some petty issues are intractable. 

This was a part of the job he hated.

'I'll have him humiliated.  The shame will render him harmless.  See if that pacifies these bullies', he thought.

The judge instructed some young officers to play around.  They put a bag on Jesus head, hit him with sticks, experimented with electricity and water.  That should do the trick.  See if the Chief is happy now.

But by now the Chief Officer and his cronies were having none of it.  Their zeal was sharper than ever.

"We'll make a complaint." 
"You're not taking the risk seriously."
"You'll have blood on your hands." 
"The Secretary of State will hear of this."

The mood was turning nasty.  How to de-escalate?

The judge turned to Jesus.  "What have you done to these people?  If I'm going to get you off, you are going to have to help me."

"You would have no power over me unless it were not given to you for above.  Your part in this is less that these others. They know what they are doing", Jesus replied. 

'In all my life I have never been in a spot like this', thought the judge.  'I've really got to save this man.  He's done nothing wrong.'

He turned again to the Chief of Police but before he could say anything, the chief interrupted,
"we've had enough Judge." 
"We're not going to be responsible for the mayhem that you're creating."

"Look I'll tell you what", argued the judge, "you can take him and do what you like.  And I've not said that. OK?"

Time had passed.  It was now about midday.

No comments:

Post a Comment