Monday 11 March 2024

Lent - Twenty Fourth Day

Heart of Vengeance by Magdalena Antrobus
Credit: Saatchi Art,
 "...to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn,"   Isaiah 61 verse 2

 Here is another strong 'Old Testament' word- 'vengeance.'  It feels to me that this is part of the problem with the military action in Gaza.  It is extremely difficult when you have the power, not to also 'stick the boot in'. 

What I read helps me reconcile these words with my understanding of our Creator.  It speaks of 'a day of vengeance'.  To me this is a time when wrongs will be put right.  Also the prophet says ' to comfort all who mourn'.  This is not exclusive, it's not 'comfort our side who mourn, it's 'all'. So the vengeance will not lead to further mourning. 

Question How can I take righteous vengeance on injustice?

Prayer: We look forward to the day when goodness will prevail, and vengeance will be in your hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment