Sunday 10 March 2024

Lent - Twenty Third Day

Prisoners, by Burmese artist Htein Lin. 
"The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners." Isaiah 61 verse 1

As I read these words a sense of inspiration fills me.  I imagine myself in the synagogue where Jesus stood up and spoke from the scroll, reading these very words in Hebrew.  Interestingly, this was part of a tradition where people could do this, which continues to be the case in Quaker Fellowships, and indeed the church I attend.  There is the potential for inspiration to emerge from the mundane.  I guess the contrast adds to the clarity of the message.  When these things happen, we never forget them.  Just as the ancient building that survive, often because they are of great significance, were as the mundane about them are removed and mown down.

Question: What are the significant moments in my life when the word of the Lord has been made clear?

Prayer:  Continue to speak clearly to our communities and 'shake us up!'.



No comments:

Post a Comment