Saturday 13 March 2021

Fourth Sunday "Get up and Walk"

 

Night Forest by Simon Garden - Catto Gallery, London

Wandering in a vast forest at night, I have only a faint light to guide me.  A stranger appears and says to me:  ‘My friend, you should blow out your candle in order to find your way more clearly.’  This stranger is a theologian.  

Denis Diderot, Addition aux Pensées philosophiquea, circa 1762

Are we not presented with a mass of conundrums?  The truth mixed with the benign, ridiculous and dangerous.  I am reminded of a discussion I had in an ecumenical forum when we discussed what we knew united all Christians, even if we did not share a common language.  A participant said 'joy', we discover that we share the same joy.  I thought that it was an excellent answer, and hence I remember it now.  

Gospel according to John Chapter Seventeen (b)

"Ok, I'll spell it out again.  I'm warning you that soon I will leave you, and it will be awful.  You will be devastated (though others may be pleased).  However, I will return in joy…"

 "…It's going to be like when a mother gives birth.  She knows the process will be extremely painful, but it will be worthwhile, because the baby comes with joy…

 "…When I come back from the creator, you will have all you need, and the joy will take this present suffering away…"

 "…Then you will ask in my name; but there will be no need, because you will ask the creator directly.  It will be the same thing.  I am simply going back to my origin with the creator…"

 "We are slowly getting it", reassured Jesus’ friends. "You and the creator are one."

 "Yes, you are believing me. Look, soon you are all going to be dispersed, and you will leave me alone.  But I won't be alone, because I am one with the creator."

 "I'm telling you this to prepare you, so that it won't come as a shock, and trouble you. Be encouraged.  All things are to be set right.”

PRAYER:  Thanks you for the Joy you have put in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment