Sunday 21 March 2021

Lent Twenty Nine "Get up and Walk"

 

Shame Totem by Gregory Fricker, Ugallery 

The world is shamefully managed, one hardly knows to whom to complain.  Ronald Firbank, Mrs Shamefoot in Vainglory, 1915

Do we expect things to be the perfection we see in our own mind's eye?  Kant's famous quote also comes to mind.  "Out of the crooked timber of humanity, no straight thing was ever made."   And nothing seems to flow in a straight line.  But perhaps let us start with this as a given.  

Lamentation Chapter Three

I have witnessed the Creator’s anger.  I have been draw into the dark places where the flesh creeps, and bodies break.  I am walled into an impenetrable cell.  I shout and scream, but no one hears me.  The Creator waits like a bear to attack.  I am dragged off the path and torn to pieces.  I hear laughter in my ears; it is my own people mocking me.  What a bitter cup of sorrow the Creator hands to me.  I survive by chewing gravel.  All I have hoped for drains away.  I will never forget these awful times.  But yet there remains a faint memory:

The steadfast love of the Creator never fails.  The Creator’s mercy never come to an end. 

They are new every morning!

And I remember that I am promised an inheritance, and my hope again rises.

The Creator blesses those who search; who depend; who wait patiently.

There is a special blessing for those who submit to the Creator from a young age.

They have the strength to sit down in the dust, to retain their hope, to turn the other cheek to those who oppress them, to accept insults from their enemies.

For we are not abandoned forever.  From grief flows compassion.  The Creator does not enjoy pain and suffering.  The down trodden are never over-looked.  Why do we complain?  We are just humans who are players in our own afflictions. 

Let us examine our ways, and return to our Creator.  Let us lift up our hearts and hands and offer praise to our maker.  We have caused you great harm, and we are not let off.  The consequent is terrible to bare.  We find we are a long way off and our voice is weak. 

Tears pour from my eye; they never cease, until you notice.

My enemies, who I never harmed, have cast me in a pit.  The waters rises.

I call to you and say “It is finished.”

In my despair I called on you, and you heard my voice.  “Do not fear,” You say.

Save me, redeem me, plead my case.

My enemies whisper and mutter.

Protect me from my enemies!

PRAYER:  All I surely know is that you will never leave me or forsake me, and I praise you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment