Wednesday 10 March 2021

Lent Twenty "Get up and Walk"

 

The Lute Player- Unknown Artist Rijksmuseum

A man who has faith must be prepared not only to be a martyr, but to be a fool. 

G.K. Chesterton.  Heretics, 1905

This morning I was listening to the radio which featured a well known author relating his experience of living through covid times. I liked his advice to listen to the news while using a running machine.  He found the shots of adrenaline associated with the fear emanating from the news to aid his running.  I listened to his first book on his experience of poor mental health where he spoke honestly about his fear of faith, and the 'certainty' emanating from people of faith.  I found this fascinating, because I have met people who are 'turned off' by the experience of collective hope they see in Christian gatherings.  It's very interesting that such a thing should be unattractive.  I also read a review in the Guardian Newspaper of the Christian radio station Premier Christian Radio, which started by criticising its range of 'grimly upbeat' music.  The reporter said she thought 'Oh God', something she had done in about ten years.  She went on to be surprisingly interested in the depth of intellectual discussion, which she put on a par with Radio 4's spiritual broadcasting.  I thought 'it's ok to deride the Christian Radio station is it?

I am a Christian because that is the label I give to this experience of relating to my creator, and having confidence that  the Creator is in the midst of the bad news on the radio.  I may experience adrenaline; that's appropriate at times, but my fear has somewhere to go other than the running machine.

Paul's Letter to the Philippian Believers Chapter Two

What is likely to encourage me more than anything else? It’s that you live in unity and put each other’s needs before your own. This is exactly what Jesus did, which ultimately led to his death. Jesus’ brave actions lead to him being raised to life, and being given the place of greatest honour and authority. Because of his actions all people will kneel before him and acknowledge him as one with the Creator. The Creator is working in you, giving you the desire and strength to live with courage and goodness. There is no need to complain. Shine brightly as lights in the darkness. Hold onto every word received from Jesus, and expect his return. Nothing you do is in vain, because it is a gift to the Creator which fills you with joy. This is the joy we share.

PRAYER:  I keep my eyes on what pleases you, and everything else can look after itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment