Wednesday 3 March 2021

Lent Fourteen "Get Up and Walk"

 

Need - A Weavers Revolt- Sheet 1 Käthe Kollwitz
Museum Köln

Despair is the price one pays for self awareness. Look deeply into life, and you'll always find despair.  

Irvin D. Yalom   

As a thirteen year old boy, I recall the surprise and relief I felt  in response to my grandfather's reassurances.  We were at a family party in Highgate.  He asked me how I was, and when I replied with a grimace,  responded by affirming me, saying I was right to feel rough, because the world was a tough place.  We can see despair in life where ever we look.  There is injustice and oppression; much of it overlook and justified away.  The greatest injustice to me is that children die when this can easily be prevented.  

Lamentations Chapter One

Jerusalem,

Once bustling with people       -       Now a deserted wasteland

Once seated at the top table    -       Now alone, like a widow.

Once a powerful queen             -       Now a defenceless slave.

I hear her sobs at night, rivers of tears flowing down her cheeks.

Of all her past admirers, none now willing to offer comfort.

All those friends have now become enemies.

The people are lead off into captivity.

Nowhere is now secure.  She is a foreigner in a hostile land.

The road to Jerusalem falls silent.  Gates creek in the wind.

The old leaders groan, and the young women cry bitterly.

The oppressor is now in charge.  Jerusalem’s failure has made her week.

Her children have all been abducted. 

In the midst of this sadness Jerusalem remembers her ancient splendour.

It was selfish ambition that made her become weak.

She is now a filthy rag to be tossed to the side.

Every precious thing is stripped bare.  Her sanctity has been violated.

Is no one moved by pity as they pass? 

Error has been converted into a yoke.  She by leashed with her own wrong doing.

“I see what is happen”, She says, “The consequence is to be expected.”

“My heart is broken, my soul despairs.”

“But remember the oppressor is equally wrong.  Be just.  Treat this present evil with the same vengeance.”

PRAYER:  I feel the pain and suffering in my heart, and in those around me, and I know that it is in your sight.  And I am not forgotten.




No comments:

Post a Comment