Monday 22 March 2021

Lent Thirty "Get up and Walk"

 

Debris in Aleppo by Tony Kwaman - Kwaman Gallery

I can’t tell if a straw ever saved a drowning man, but I know that a mere glance is enough to make despair pause.  For in truth, we who are creatures of impulse, are not creatures of despair.  

Joseph Conrad, Chance, 1913

Every morning the challenge is...to live... says Albert Camus. The way to truly live, is to have hope.  But hope that is based on fingers crossed, genuflect and look up to the sky, as seen every week as footballers come onto the pitch or score a goal, is not enough.  Hosea chose a challenging life.  He married the love of his life, but was warned that he would experience hardship.  When the Creator formed us, I guess the same warning was known already. 

Hosea Chapter Three

The Creator spoke again. “Stay faithful to your unfaithful wife, and show her tenderness. This will be a picture of how I also treat the people of Israel.” So I paid off my wife’s debts, and brought her back from the slums. I asked her to be faithful to me, and we would devote ourselves to reconciliation. This was also the pattern for Israel, in finding new life, a real change was necessary. Eventually the people will see how wonderful this love is, and it will make them tremble with awe.

PRAYER:  One day I will fully know what was the price you paid for me.  I praise you now for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment