Tuesday 2 March 2021

Lent Thirteen "Get up and Walk"

 

Whistler's Mother by J.A.M. Whistler, Musee D'Orsay, Paris

It was a room where you had no reason for sitting in one place rather than another.   Middlemarch Chapter 54, G Eliot.

Surely the greatest gift in life is to have purpose and meaning for existence.  Even the most dull life has meaning when relationships are powerful and strong.  In unity there is strength.  I think of early human existence, fighting the cold in winter; struggling to find enough to eat, and with no television!

Ruth Chapter Three

Life went on like this until one day Naomi decided that Ruth should settle down. She knew that Boaz, as their closest male relation, would have a duty to decide their fate. The custom was that any poor relation could offer themselves as a servant when in great need. Naomi encouraged Ruth to offer herself to Boaz. She trusted that he would treat her well. This was a big risk, but Ruth had the courage. One day, she made herself look presentable, and went and met with Boaz. It was the evening after the day’s work was done, and Ruth knew she was breaking a taboo. Boaz was indeed surprised to see Ruth. The poor did not mix with the rich. “I come to offer myself as your servant” explained Ruth. “Please decide what I must do. I entrust my future into your hands.” Boaz let out a gentle laugh. “Ruth. You have nothing to worry about. Everyone knows you are a wonderful person who has sacrificed much to serve my family. But Naomi does not know that there is another relation who is closer in marriage to you. I will have to ask him to decide your future.” Boaz let Ruth stay the night and sent her away in the morning with a gift of food. Ruth explained what Boaz had said. Naomi was confident that Boaz would do the right thing for her. She knew that Ruth was a treasure.

PRAYER: I am excited by what you have for me today

No comments:

Post a Comment