Wednesday 31 March 2021

Lent Thirty Eight "Get up and Walk"

 

Itchy Gypsy by Juan Atata - Berlin 2012

Anger and jealousy can no more bear to lose sight of their objects than love.  

George Eliot, The Mill on the Floss, 1860

I like this message because it describes the 'yin' and 'yang' of relationships.  Passion works in both directions.  To feel strongly is to experience life to the full, but also to be exposed to the pain associated with fear and worry.  We read of the agony of the Creator at the desperate state of the relationship between the Creator, and the created.  

Hosea Chapter 2 

“But now I bring charges against my unfaithful wife.  Tell her to wipe off her make-up, and cover up her body.  If she continues she will be left naked in the wilderness.  I will disown our children.  They are not actually mine.  She seeks the comfort of others, but they continue to turn their backs on her.  In her despair she will think of me, and whether to return.  She forgets that everything she has came first from me.   She passed it straight on to others.  So the good times are over.  Life now becomes punishing.” 

“I cannot bear this, for my love is eternal.  I have freed her in the past from captivity.  I made her equal in partnership with me.  We can wipe away the guilt of failure, the weakness of the heart.  I honour my vow to her, to protect her from harm.  My promise is for ever.  I remain faithful.”

 

“A day will come when I will plant a new community.  We will begin again.  Instead of ‘No Longer loved’, and ‘Not my people’, they will be called ‘My People again!’  They will call me ‘Wonderful Creator’.”

 

PRAYER: Our relationship is the most important part of my life.  I apologies when I make you feel concerned that I do not value it.

No comments:

Post a Comment