Friday 5 March 2021

Lent Sixteen "Get up and Walk"

Death and Woman Käthe Kollwitz - Leicester Art Gallery

 

Men are given to worshipping malevolent gods, and that which is not cruel seems to them not worth their adoration.  

Anatole France.  Crainquebille, 1901

Those that look in from the outside see violence.  And I don't blame them.  Verses from the Quran are criticised for there seeming barbarity, went similar verses can her heard coming from the mouth of Paul.  We see such suffering.  Kollwitz picture is of the ultimate picture of horror.   What if this is my loved one, my child?  As CS Lewis put it when his recently wed wife died of cancer, 'just holding on'.

I do not believe my Creator is malevolent, or irresponsible, as are the Greek gods of old.  My Creator is like a parents who I can't figure out.  What is this rule about?  Why do I have to go to bed now?  The reasons are there.  I may have not discovered them as yet.  But they don't exist when I have figured them out;  they exist.

Micah Chapter Six

“Case for the prosecution- call forth the mountains as your witnesses.

What can you bring against your Creator?”

“Now mountains, hear my questioning.”

What have I done that my people have grown so tired of me?

Remember I brought you out of slavery in Egypt.  Moses, Aaron and Miriam came to your aid.

King Balak tried to curse you, but Balaam blessed you instead. Remember our journeys where I showed you what faithfulness is?  You ask what can we give you?  A new born calf?  A thousand rams?  A river of olive oil, even our first born children?

No! You know what I require of you.

Do right, love mercy and to walk humbly with me.

The wise fear what I say!

Listen to this voice; powerful justice is coming, into the homes of the wicked, full of ill-gotten gains.  Wow to the dishonest scales, riches born of extortion and violence.

Citizens who lie excessively cannot recognise the truth.

This judgement will wound you!

You will eat and never feel full.

Others will benefit from your savings, and they  will never be enough.

Your crops will be harvested by others.

Your oil press will produce just enough to douse your hair.

You will trample your grapes and squeeze out only a drop.

You will obey the law, but only those made by evil rulers.

This will lead to ruin, contempt and mockery.

PRAYER:  I want to do what is right, be merciful, and walk humbling with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment